Monday, November 9, 2009

Working on inletting the tang

I spent a few hours working on carefully inletting the tang today. I managed to do all the work by hand using my chisels. Nice and relaxing. Until I got so frustrated I had to go work on something else LOL!

Here's a nice view of the cuts:
Photobucket

Here's a view with the barrel/tang assembled setting next to the stock:
Photobucket

And here's a view with the barrel/tang installed in the stock:
Photobucket

It looks like I have some more wood to take out of the barrel channel. I carefully checked and rechecked to be sure the barrel was going all the way down and I still have too much barrel sticking out above the stock. Bummer! I also have some more bending to do to the tang but I want to get the barrel all the way down before I finish that part.
Photobucket

I got a bit frustrated so I worked on getting my brass trigger guard filed down a bit. Compare the two to see how much had to come off:

Before:
Photobucket

After:
Photobucket

A full view:
Photobucket

Lot's of file work. It's actually quite relaxing in a repetitive sort of way...

No comments:

Post a Comment