Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Inletting the barrel

As mentioned earlier, I ordered the stock with the inletting already done for the barrel, trigger and lock. So most of the inletting was already done for me.

Here is the lock and barrel in place with me holding the breech plug approximately where it's going to end up in the stock. I've marked a line where the breech face will be after the breech plug is installed so I know where the flash hole liner will need to be.


Here is the same view with he flash hole liner laying on the barrel in the location it would need to be installed in order to miss the breech face (marked with the black line)

It's obvious, the barrel needs to be moved back so the flash hole liner is centered with the flash pan.


After a lot of carving and careful measuring and some filing and so on, I was able to get the barrel to inset further back by about 1/8". As you can see now, the mark for the centerline of the flash hole liner is now center with the flash pan. I'll take off just a little bit more before installing the flash hole liner but I'm going to leave that little bit for later (it's easier to take more off than put some back on...)


No comments:

Post a Comment