Wednesday, October 14, 2009

My Lancaster Project

Many years ago I put together a "kit" flintlock rifle from CVA (I think that was the name). That was a couple of decades ago!

I've since raised a family, built a good career and have been a very avid collector of modern firearms. I also handload many different calibers of ammunition for everything from self defense to competition and hunting.

Recently some legislation has been passed regarding the Internet sales of ammunition as well as the components to reload. That got me to thinking if I want to continue enjoying my firearms hobby I may want to expand into a category that may not get legislated into oblivion.

I already have a store bought Hawkin's caplock 50 cal muzzle loading rifle and a caplock Remington Army clone. I enjoy shooting both and began looking around for clubs and such. I happened upon a few very nice forums where muzzle-loaders were being discussed and I got bit hard by the builder's bug. I just HAD to build my own rifle. And not just put together one from a drop in "kit" either. I had already done that while in my teens and was very simple. I wanted a real challenge.

After a lot of reading, asking a bunch of questions, I ordered what is commonly called a "parts kit" as opposed to a "drop in kit". The difference being you get your parts about as raw as they come from the manufacturer. Nothing is finished or put together in a parts kit. Whereas the "drop in kit" is about 80% done and all your really have to do is some finish sanding, some bluing of the metals and put a finish on your wood. I did one when I was about 17 and it only took me about a month of evenings in my parent's garage. Being stupid, (and needing gas money) I sold it about a year later. I got a great price for it and I hope the guy that bought it got a lot of enjoyment out of it.

The parts kit I bought this time round came from "Muzzleloader Builders Supply" (http://www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com)

I spoke to Ryan (the owner) and we spent almost an hour on the phone picking out the parts I wanted to not only build a period correct firearm, but make it uniquely my own.

Due to my own choices, some of what I wanted was special order and I had to wait for them to come in. I told him to wait and ship everything at one time and no hurry, this is a hobby. He seemed to appreciate that little bit of customer curtiousy (rare these days of "give it to me now!" customers). After all, in the days these rifles were first being built, a gunsmith had to wait for parts to ship clean from Germany or England or France. Needless to say, this could take over a year! A few weeks were no big deal.

I am hoping I can document the build process from beginning to end here for my own enjoyment and hopefully yours as well.

The Rifle is based on the Lancaster school of gun-makers. It represents the Kentucky or Pennsylvania rifle in it's Golden age. When talking about the Kentucky or Pennsylvania rifle it's usually about the same style rifle. Remember, Kentucky was a huge area of land back then!

There is a lot of info to read on the Internet about these rifles and the builders. I won't even try to write about them here. I'm not an expert, simply a student of the art building my first serious project.

And now for your pleasure:

The Parts

Here is a picture of the overall Barrel and Stock as I got them. They're very long so were hard to get a good overall picture of. I was taking all the other parts pictures with the green background on my ironing board so I just kept it on the board instead of the concrete floor of my shop.
Photobucket
My Toes are a bonus LOL.

Some closer views of the stock:






I ordered the stock with the lock already inlet:


As well as the trigger and barrel channel:




No comments:

Post a Comment